Nov 28, 2011


Good evening!

I'll warn you right now that I didn't find anything particularly valuable out there tonight, but I've decided to post some pictures anyway. Although Garbagems is primarily intended to facilitate the reuse process, it also serves as a visual reminder of all the wasted resources that'll eventually end up in a landfill somewhere; out of sight, but steadily corroding the health of our environment.

Anyway, here's some junk:


(Maclaren, west of Metcalfe)

This was mostly scraps of wood and similar materials (which can, of course, be of practical value), though I also noticed some bed rails and a futon skeleton. Naturally, this led me to wonder if these both came from the same apartment. If so, the tenant probably decided to just start sleeping on a mattress pile.



Here's another view of the same garage. In front of the dumpsters, you'll notice a small set of shelves, which appears to have been designed to accommodate a TV on top (evidently designed prior to the era of the 2-dimensional television).

To complete the set, I also found a number of TV's...

(O'Connor, north of Somerset)

(Gilmour, east of Bank)

(Somerset, west of Cartier)

That last photo is just humiliating; the TV's face has been pushed into the dirt. Or perhaps it chose to bow its head in shame and disgust...

I've been seeing more and more of these pop up recently, and to be honest, I'm getting a bit concerned. While I fully support the idea of discarding these ADD-enabling weapons of mass distraction, I don't think this is the proper way of disposing of electronics. Furthermore, I suspect that many of these are still in functional condition, but the owners have simply 'upgraded'.


(Somerset, west of Cartier)

Once again, I couldn't resist posting this, simply for the mysterious allure of the situation. Can you think of an explanation for why that cylinder of carpet was left here in a duffel bag?



(Lewis, east of Bank)

Judging by the geometry of it, I would say this was once a very elegant chair. Now it appears to be a puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment