Feb 14, 2011


Looks like I wasn't the only one rummaging around in the garbage tonight...

I wanted to compare notes with this raccoon, and discuss the hot spots for centretown garbage, but all I got from him was the distinct feeling that he was about to jump out of that tree and claw my eyes out (Raccoons are bloodthirsty creatures). It also occurred to me that he was probably more interested in expired food than mid-century antique furniture, so instead of carrying on the conversation, I decided to walk away.

Here's what I found next!


(O'Connor, south of Maclaren)

This lamp complements the surroundings quite nicely. While I appreciated its gangster lean, I swear I've seen at least half a dozen lamps otherwise just like this one in the garbage.

While we're on the topic of products that seem abnormally prone to breaking, I also saw two identical 'Babord' shoe racks from Ikea in two different garbage piles tonight! I didn't bother to photograph the first one, since it's crap from Ikea, and I figured there was no point in photographing the second one, since I hadn't photographed the first one, so it wouldn't have made my story any more credible. Anyway, I think the lesson here is quite obvious: Don't shop at Ikea; shop from the garbage.


(Maclaren, west of Cartier)

Two quality items here. Let's start with the bed. I had to laugh at the proportions of this mattress, as it seems to have been made for someone very long and narrow who never moves in their sleep. If this were on a top bunk, there would be severe consequences if you happened to roll over even once. That's probably why it's in the garbage. Safety first.

The desk appeared to be very charming, with ample storage space. Some may complain about missing drawers, but remember: For every drawer that's lost, a shelf is gained.


(Maclaren, east of Bank)

As you can tell from the daylight, I spotted these a little earlier. I know some people are interested in collecting these glass cola bottles, but apparently whoever dropped these off was just a cola-enthusiast (in other words, an unhealthy person).



There are some pretty interesting things you can do with glass bottles like these, but I think the most practical would be to trade them for money. As far as I know, most glass bottles carry at least a 10 cent deposit, so this could end up being somewhat lucrative. Plus, you can feel good knowing that you've helped to facilitate the reuse process!

1 comment:

  1. In Victoria those would be scooped up so fast Patrick! There are a lot of homeless people here who take care of ALL of the bottle recycling ... at least around the bottle drop-off centres anyway.

    I love the lighting in the raccoon photo.

    ReplyDelete