March 7, 2011


Good evening!

As this is my first post of March, I had an important decision to make. If you've been an observant, long-term Garbagems subscriber (or if you've looked at the archive on the right), you may have noticed that I've been a bit inconsistent in abbreviating the names of the months. I generally aim to truncate them to 3 letters, but when faced with a month like 'June', it's hard to justify dropping the final letter, as it really doesn't make it any more convenient to write. So I made an exception in such cases, and decided to allow 4-letter abbreviations, but that wasn't too helpful for this month. To me, 'Mar' looks weird, and 'Marc' would just be confusing. For some time, I debated whether I should allow the full 5 letters. It wasn't an easy decision. As you may have noticed, my solution to this dilemma last year was to avoid posting anything at all in March. After having a year to think about though, I seem to have mustered the courage to make a decision on the matter. I hope none of my readers are terribly offended by my choice.

Anyway, here's some garbage:


(Cooper, east of Elgin)

I think the object in front is a desk, but I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it seemed to be in good condition; why waste a perfectly good rectangular prism of wood?

You may also have noticed that there's an oven behind it. I was surprised at how clean and well-maintained it appeared to be. The white surface was shimmering so hard, I wished I had brought my shades.


(Gilmour, west of MacDonald)

This doesn't look like blue box material...

Basically it's a bunch of magazines and journals. I only took a quick glance at some of titles, and most of them seemed fairly generic: Macleans, TIME, Canadian National Report on Immunization, etc.

As I've said in the past, all the information here has likely been digitized already, but this still seems a little wasteful.


(Somerset, east of Cartier)

Without a doubt, this has to be the most versatile set of shelves I've ever had the privilege of laying eyes upon. These could comfortably accommodate an item of almost any shape and size. I'm sure the owner decided to part with it as a result of being overwhelmed by the endless storage possibilities. That was probably it.


(Maclaren, east of Bank)

I find the geometry of this table very pleasing. Although it's very small, the legs are joined at the bottom for extra structural integrity. The top looks a little dusty, but aside from that, I didn't notice any major flaws.


(Maclaren, east of Cartier)

There are many charming items visible in this pile, but what you see here is just a small fraction of the gems that lurk within. I attempted to get some photos of the hidden items in the back, but the angle was pretty awkward, so unfortunately, I didn't get many clear shots. On the other hand, I would hate to spoil the enigmatic allure of this mysterious pile, so maybe it's just as well.

I'll show you the photos I got in just a moment, but I'd first like to draw your attention to some of the items in the front. I would say the highlights include the green ironing board skeleton, the mini-stool on top (more visible in the next photo), and the small white table lying upside-down beneath it. Anyway, here's a glimpse of some of the other items this spot had to offer:



Lovely and mysterious.

No comments:

Post a Comment